6 February 2004

3 days later

It's all going alright. I don't seem to be having any serious trouble with cravings yet. If I compare how I feel now to how I felt when I failed to stop, there is a significant positive difference and I put this down to the Niquitin CQ patches I am using.

In the first 24 hours, I found myself thinking about smoking a lot but no really bad cravings. The worst was after dinner on Wednesday when for about two seconds I found myself looking around for my cigarettes. It was like getting an electric shock when I suddenly remembered that I don't smoke. Very strange feeling. I had another one about an hour ago while driving back from work but that wasn't too bad at all.

Physical effects have really started to appear now hence defcon2. I've got a really stupid and persistent cough and I had a splitting headache earlier today. These are just my body healing from the damage that smoking causes. What you must remember is that when you start smoking, the body sends some pretty serious warning signs of the harm being done like coughing and the burning sensation in the lungs. I honestly can't remember exactly why and when I started but if I think about it rationally right now, what on Earth was I thinking?

Luckily for the rest of the planet, the bad moods have yet to appear like last time. Again, I reckon that this is the patches. They are bloody expensive but they are working and I'm going to stick to the plan. I was originally only going to use them for a week but I'm going to wean myself off them like you're meant to. One thing I find funny is that many people, a lot of them smokers, find the patches to be a sign of weakness. That is bullshit. The weakness is in starting smoking in the first place!

No comments: