12 June 2007

Eggs of Doom

I thought I would analyse one of the meals I like that I suspect is too high in fat and energy for a weight loss plan. It's a breakfast type meal and it is as follows:

2 slices of bread, 180 kCal, 1.8g of fat (0.4g Saturated)
Flora light, 40 kCal, 3.8g (0.9g)
3 scrambled eggs, 270 kCal, 20.0g (6.0g)
10 sprays of Fry Light, 10 kCal, 1.0g (Trace)
Half a tin of Beans, 150 kCal, 0.4g (Trace)
3 grilled turkey rashers, 75 kCal, 1.2g (0.3g)

TOTALS
725 kCalories
28.2 grammes of fat
(7.6 grammes of saturated fat)

As a general rule I try to restrict the calories of any meal to around 500 so this was a bit of a surprise! That's a lot more than I was expecting...

If I cut out one egg and one slice of bread, I end up with 550 calories and 20 grammes of fat. That's closer and I think I can get away with that for a meal.

I could also poach a single egg. I always found that poached eggs seems to be bigger than the scrambled equivalent... yeah, possibly bonkers but it works in my brain. That takes it to 455 kCal and 13g of fat. Getting there I think.

The eggs surprised me. I never realised they were so much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should try just using one whole egg and a couple of egg whites. You get tons of protein, and just the flavour and calories from one egg yolk. (I use this method for making giant low calorie omlettes)

If you're into 'stats' you should give this website a try... It shifted the weight for me. Every last single pound. You get a free 3 day trial with it as well, so you can see if it suits without committing your hard earned cash to a weight loss plan that might not suit you.

It also has a very good exercise section btw.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/lostart.htm